Sunday, March 31, 2013

Reflection (25/3/13-29/3/13)


We further discussed Simon and Garfunkel's "Sound of Silence". Discussing about the lyrics this week in a circle on the carpet felt good as we simply exchanged more ideas and we gained a better insight. The key is that there is never a right answer but a logical analysis. Sometimes while analyzing, it seems that we truly forget to consider how we felt and instead get too caught up with what the author is trying to imply or how it affects the reader. I believe that we have to keep a balance of our personal response too.

We also analyzed "Anthem for Doomed Youth" which I personally found, very challenging. However, through this exercise, I realize the importance of a strong vocabulary bank. Certain words, even though archaic, carries great analytical value. Even when these difficult words have their definition given, I would not take the risk to depend on it and by practicing often on vocabulary.com, this will put me in good stead for those challenges.

I cannot mention enough that vocabulary.com has been incredibly helpful. I've been learning a lot of words and I feel great when I spot them in daily usage. I hope that we are pushed to continue the practices on the website as even when I hesitated at first, it has turned out to be incredibly useful.

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, I would say that a personal response to a poem is completely individual and in most cases unique. It is all about how you see the poem. However, analyzation of the poem comes first. Hence, as long as you describe about it in a paragraph will do. Just to be safe, I am not very sure about it. What do you guys think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that the vocabulary site has been helpful and it's great that you are noticing these words outside of the classroom.
    Pei Qin - I'm not sure what you're asking. You should aim to explain the images and emotions that you garner from reading the poem with examples of text to point the examiner to what you mean. Your analysis may be different from someone else's but as long as it is supported by the text, it's fine. If this does not answer your question, please let me know and we can discuss further in lesson time.

    ReplyDelete