Friday, March 22, 2013

Reflection (18/3/13-22/3/13)

This week in English, we learnt more figurative language terms. I was astounded by the number of techniques that are apparently common yet I've no knowledge of until recently such as pathetic fallacy, iambic pentameter and many more. To fully apply these terms in my writing, I still need to practice using it as through my unseen poetry practices.

While we listened to Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence", it was really fun to spot the techniques they use to convey subtle meanings such as anarchy. I've often searched up meanings of songs that I like and am appalled that this could also be a technique to improve my writing. Like poetry,  the top review of "The Sound of Silence" gave me a vivid and creative look towards the lyrics of the song which makes me see how important it is to master these techniques and to be able to use it creatively.

While analyzing the song, I could see that I'm starting to identify parts of the lyrics by seeing which parts fit into a certain technique. From there, I would carry on investigating it's meaning. I find that this is very helpful if we've learnt those techniques as it makes analysis much easier.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to see that you're starting to identify parts of the lyrics by seeing which parts fit into a certain technique. I agree with you that we have to do more unseen poetry and use this as an opportunity to apply these terms in our writing. :)

    ReplyDelete